- Snow Chains Required
Used primarily in the winter, this means that either winter tires or chains are required to prevent slippage on road surfaces. In general, it is possible to use the roads with studless tires or chains, however the required anti-slippage devices are decided by the Public Safety Commissions in each prefecture separately In some areas, you may not be permitted to drive using studless tires, we therefore request that you confirm with the police department in the prefectures you will be traveling in prior to departure.
- Alternating Lanes
This is usually used for two lane roads where one lane needs to be shut down due to construction or a traffic accident. In this case, the single lane will be used by both lanes of traffic alternately. When this regulation is in effect, there may be temporary stops in traffic so please drive with caution.
Drive Traffic (mobile) allows users to check the traffic information for expressways throughout Japan using the internet functionality of mobile phones (such as DoCoMo's i-mode). In addition, when used in conjunction with the PC version this service can provide total support for searching and gathering information prior to departure. The main features are as follows:
1. Map: confirm the most up-to-date traffic information on the map.
2. Check current area via GPS: Using the GPS functionality of the mobile phone to check traffic information in the current area.
3. Notice of lifting of road closures: Set this function to receive e-mail notices when a road closure is lifted for a designated area.
4. Check you route: After registering routes most commonly used, you can receive traffice information via e-mail.
- e-mail notification of road closures and lifting of road closures along the registered route.
- Update e-mails of traffic conditions along the registered route at designated times and in fixed intervals.
5. Check toll costs, Service Area and Parking Area information: Allows users to check toll costs as well as Service Area and Parking Area information from route search results using the specified route from a designated interchange.
Drive Traffic (PC) allows users to check traffic information for expressways throughout Japan from their PC. In addition, when used in conjunction with the PC version this service can provide total support for searching and gathering information prior to departure. The main features are as follows:
1. Obtain easy to follow traffic information via a dynamic map application: The application displays easy-to-understand traffic information on a map.
2. Confirm information on your route: After registering your favorite routes, you can use this function to quickly search traffic information along those routes.
3. Receive road closure-related alerts: Receive alerts via e-mail about road closures or have updates on current traffic information sent directly to your mobile phone.
4. Displays driving route: You an use this function to display on the Drive Traffic map the route input into the “expressway toll search”. Also, you can confirm the traffic information along the displayed route.
5. Confirm expected traffic on map: With this function, you can confirm the predicted traffic along your route.
Drive Traffic recommends the following system environment.
- Recommended Browsers
Internet Explorer versions 8, 9, 10, 11
Mozilla Firefox versions 30, 31
Safari version 7
- Browser Settings
In addition, the mobile version of the site can be accessed from NTT DoCoMo, au and SoftBank mobile phones. However, the support for each handset may vary as some handsets may allow only limited access to the site while others may not be able to use the site at all.
Drive Traffic provides information on expressways managed by NEXCO East, NEXCO Central and NEXCO West and expressways connecting the islands of Honshu and Shikoku. The following roads are not covered: Hachiouji By-pass, Shin Shounan By-pass, Abotoge Road, Shiida Road and Yakiyama By-pass.
The Shuto Expressway, Hanshin Expressway, and other city expressways and local roads are not supported.
For the Shuto Expressway, Hanshin Expressway and local road traffic information please see the homepage of the Japan Road Traffic Information Center (JARTIC).
No registration is necessary for checking current traffic information, but to use services such as the “My Route” function (regular road condition updates) or e-mail updates when a road closure is lifted then membership registration (free of charge) is required.
The information from our servers is updated every 5 minutes from the traffic information received from the Japan Road Traffic Information Center (JARTIC). Due to this delay in updates the actual traffic regulations, road regulations and traffic conditions may vary.
1. Actual traffic regulations and road/traffic information may have a 10-15 minute lag before it can be provided by Drive Traffic.
2. Changes in traffic conditions may result in the information on traffic regulations and road/traffic conditions being different from the actual condition.
The information on Drive Traffic is offered free of charge. However, users are responsible for their won internet connectivity fees.